PARK INN BY RADISSON - Adding Color to Lives campaign
- Les catégories
- Worldwide Hospitality Awards
- MEILLEURE INITIATIVE EN DEVELOPPEMENT DURABLE ET RESPONSABILITE SOCIALE
- PARK INN BY RADISSON - Adding Color to Lives campaign
Ce dossier n'est disponible qu'en anglais.
PARK INN BY RADISSON - Adding Color to Lives campaign
Park Inn by Radisson partners with renowned street artist Joel Bergner to give a voice to at-risk young people around the world by creating inner-city murals.
“Adding Color to Lives” is a global social action art project launched in 2015 by the colorful and dynamic midscale hotel brand, Park Inn by Radisson. It brings together young people in difficult life situations allowing them to express themselves through art and have a lasting impact on their communities.
Adding Color to Lives focuses on marginalized young people, whose voices are rarely heard in society. They include refugees, orphans, school drop-outs and the economically disadvantaged. In partnership with the world-famous street artist and educator Joel Bergner, Park Inn by Radisson hotels and participating youth create murals in central city locations. The murals offer them a lasting platform to express and communicate their hopes, views and feelings to the world.
In 2015, five Park Inn by Radisson hotels organized a mural project with Bergner and local at-risk youth in Malmö, London, Brussels, Cologne and Cape Town. The youth design the mural themselves, in a creative workshop at the start of the project. In each project, the youth connect with the Park Inn hotel employees, who help with painting, creating the mural and making sure there’s food and drinks to keep the creative juices flowing.
In 2016, Park Inn by Radisson is strengthening this partnership with Bergner as part of its on-going commitment to protecting young people at risk around the world.
Park Inn by Radisson hotels were tasked to come up with an “Adding Color to Lives” plan for their hotel and community. The ideas articulated each hotel’s long-term ambition to support at-risk youth in their local communities, such as through sports and art projects, tailored traineeships or skills training courses at the hotel. The best long-term plans won a Bergner project for their city. Winning hotels for the 2016 campaign include Oslo, Tallinn, Krakow and Johannesburg. A fifth mural will be done in the United States. It will go to the Park Inn by Radisson hotel that demonstrates the best month-long engagement with ’opportunity youth’ in their community during our September Responsible Business Action Month. This final mural will close the series in Q1 2017.
- Oslo Mural – in cooperation with Park Inn by Radisson Oslo Airport Hotel, Norway. The hotel partners with two locally-based clubs: Calypso Youth House and Kløfta Youth House. These two youth organizations are major venues in the vicinity of the airport where young people meet up. They promote values such as mutual respect and tolerance. They provide young people with diverse after-school activities and entertainment in a safe, positive and friendly environment, and the Bergner mural project is one of them. Watch the video: youtu.be/uzKyTDSqU7Y
- Krakow Mural – in cooperation with the Park Inn by Radisson Krakow Hotel, Poland. The hotel supports a youth house, located in a small village 35 km away from Krakow. The youngsters, aged between 14 and 17 who live in the youth house, participated in the mural painting in the center of Krakow. Izabella, one of the young mural artists, commented: “It is a unique opportunity for us to paint a mural with an artist. I am so excited and can’t wait to do this! We will do our best!”
The mural painting is just one element of the hotel’s 12-month program to empower youth at risk in the area. The Park Inn by Radisson Krakow developed a very structured cooperation plan with the youth house and started their first joint activities in April. Hotel employees organized several workshops with the young people to introduce them to the hospitality industry and provided them with hands-on cooking, gardening, cleaning and DIY classes.
- Tallinn Mural – in cooperation with the Park Inn by Radisson Meriton Conference & Spa Hotel Tallinn, Estonia. The hotel supports the Tallinn Children Safety Centre, one of the biggest youth-at-risk organizations in the Estonian capital. The Tallinn Children Safety Centre works on rehabilitation programs for young people with alcohol or drug-addiction problems. It welcomes youngsters suffering from abandonment, domestic violence, or parents with alcohol or drug addiction.
The collaboration between the hotel and the Tallinn Children Centre kicked off in the beginning of September with the mural painting and on-site work with Bergner. After the mural is finalized, the hotel will invite the young people for a series of movie nights at the hotel itself, and will gradually introduce the hospitality industry to them. The youth will be offered internships at the hotel to gain new skills, prepare them to be independent, expose them to the international environment at the hotel and potentially earn positions at the hotel by the end of the internship.
- Johannesburg Mural – in cooperation with the Park Inn Sandton Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa. The hotel is partnering with the local charity ‘Sophie A Kanza’ Foundation, which came up with the #CandyCraftsDay concept. Youth get a chance to make their own crafts using all types of candies with the help of our volunteers during interactive and stimulating sessions. The hotel is supporting the cost of these sessions and providing the Foundation with the needed sweets and packaging.
The team at the Park Inn by Radisson Sandton hotel in Johannesburg is also very much involved in several other long-term efforts to support local communities, such as collecting and distributing clothing and sanitary supplies, to shelters for young mothers and vulnerable girls and by raising funds to help the less privileged live their passion.
In the two years of Adding Color to Lives and the partnership with Bergner, the projects have created a true and lasting connection between the hotels, our employees and youth in the community. The pride of creating the murals and the ongoing connection with our hotel teams continues to bring positive influences to these young people at risk.
• Adding Color to Lives videos:
2015 Malmö mural (Sweden): youtu.be/3SfdO0fSzko
2016 Oslo mural (Norway): youtu.be/uzKyTDSqU7Y
• Website : www.parkinn.com/addingcolor
• Blog Posts
Autre document : Joe Bergner Biography